Buchanan Promise Overview
- MGCF has been named beneficiary of a multi-million dollar bequest to support a new scholarship program at Buchanan Community Schools.
- Modeled after the Kalamazoo Promise concept, it will be available to graduating students who reside inside the BCS district boundary.
- Length of residency will determine the percentage amount of the award, with students who have lived in district K-12 receiving 100% of the available grant, and others on a time of residency sliding scale. You must be enrolled at least 9th – 12th grade to be eligible.
- Each student is encouraged to complete the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for at least one additional community based scholarship. Many colleges require FAFSA as part of their application process.
- No merit based criteria will be used for the Promise Scholarship. All students who are headed to a post-secondary institution, whether an associate’s, baccalaureate, trade or certification program, could be eligible.
- Federal and community scholarship grants should NOT affect student eligibility.
- The Buchanan Promise Coordinator will be available to answer student/parent questions at BHS during certain times of the school year. Watch this website and school emails for those dates and times.
- There is an appeal process available for students. Contact MGCF to inquire about that process.