Buchanan Promise Overview
- MGCF has been named beneficiary of a multi-million dollar bequest to support a new scholarship program at Buchanan High School.
- Modeled after the Kalamazoo Promise concept, it will be available to graduating students who resides inside the BCS district boundary.
- Length of residency will determine the percentage amount of the award, with students who have lived in district K-12 receiving 100% of the available grant, and others on a time of residency sliding scale.
- Each student is encouraged to complete the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for at least one additional community based scholarship. Many colleges require FAFSA as part of their application process.
- No merit based criteria will be used for the Promise Scholarship. All students who are headed to a post-secondary institution, whether an associate’s, baccalaureate, trade or certification program, are eligible.
- Scholarship will be a first dollar award, meaning that any Federal and community scholarship grants should NOT affect student eligibility.